Thursday, May 10, 2012

Genetically Modified Crops in Africa

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/sec006group5/gm_food




By: Isobel Coleman
Kate Hollenbeck 

Summary: Genetically Modified crops is a one of the newest ways that people are starting to fight hunger. Calestous Juma is a Harvard graduate and now the Agricultural Innovation in Africa Project, which specializes on bringing genetically modified crops to the starving people of Africa. Juma once said in an interview “that the future will place greater demands on agriculture due to population growth and climate change, and genetically modified crops are an important option for meeting future needs.” People used to think that the crops would actually cause harm on the environment, and not help anyone out, but that was proved wrong. The crops are actually mostly raised by ‘small resource-poor farmers” and the fact that the crops are pest-resistant is helping out dramatically. The farmers are having to pay less for pesticides which are saving them much needed money. Some of these crops are also drought resistant, and that is a huge help to the farmers that live in extremely dry places. These crops are also helping the environment by being able to be “no-till agriculture”. This means that the farmers do not have to dig up weeds in the soil that usually causes carbon dioxide to be released into the air. Juma also noted that “With herbicides that kill weeds but not crops, the labor required for weeding drops significantly, boosting productivity. In Africa, the typical farmer, who is a woman, spends 200 hours per hectare per year weeding.” That is huge because the women can care for the children instead of weeding all day.

Opinion: I thought that this article was eye-opening. I had no idea what was going on with the genetically modified crops these days. This article reminds me of a story my dad told me about something called “dwarf corn”. It was another genetically modified crop, but I had not heard anything about it since my dad told me that story years ago. One thing that I do not understand is why modifying crops was so controversial 15 years ago. All I hear about and read about is how helpful these crops are to third world countries. Places that have very dry soil and weeds everywhere are being able to grow their own food now, and that is huge. The fact that women do not have to spend all day weeding will help the children because they will be getting the care that they need.



1.      What do you think of genetically modified crops? Is it good or bad for the environment?

2.      What are some of the specific crops that are being modified?

3.      What are some positive and negative effects that genetically enhancing cause?

4 comments:

  1. Opinion: This article was very interesting. I have not heard much about these genetically modified crops, but from this article I think that they seem like a good idea. I think that this crops could be benefical to most of the people in Africa. Farmers, other African citizens and the African government will all get positive results from these crops. Farmers will save money by not having to buy pesticides, other African citizens will have an easier time finding food and women will not have to spend a lot of time weeding. Also, the government will be able to help improve hunger problems in Africa if all small farms adopt these crops. From this article, I believe these crops could be a great idea for Africans. I wonder if we are using these crops anywhere in the United States. I am not sure of the cons of these crops, but from what I know about them they sounds like a great idea. This reminds me of when I went to my friend's church and they were doing a fund raiser for Africa. During the mass, the preist talked about and showed us what the food that the Africans ate looked like. It looked like it would taste horrible and I could not believe people had to eat it everyday, if they were lucky. The church was asking for money donations to help with developing these genetically modified crops. I hope that these crops could replace that disgusting food and help feed African countries.
    Expansion:
    Answer to Question 2: Some examples of crops that have been and are being genetically modified are sweet corn, golden rice, tomatoes, strawberries, pineapples, bananas and sweet peppers. I found these examples on this website: http://www.bionetonline.org/english/content/ff_cont3.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Kate, I had no idea that they were genetically modifying crops. I thought that is was very interesting to read and a good solution to the hunger problem. Many people could benefit with this crop and less people would not die from starvation. I also thought it was nice to hear that women do not need to weed and being able to spend more time with their children. With these crops, not only people would benefit from it but so will animals. This connects to my life because whenever I hear about people in third world countries dying from starvation, I want to help them but I never know how. With this crop, it can help fix that problem and make me feel better about the problem.

    Answer to question 1: I think this is a good idea but I am a little scared to how this could affect the natural growth of this plant. In the future, the growth of these crops could become out of control. Thus making too much food and letting it go to waste. Plus I think with modifying its genetics, it could mess with the environment in which that crop is growing in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opinion: I really enjoyed reading this article, and how crops can be genetically modified. I think it’s really great that this can help the people starving in Africa, and save money for the farmers growing these crops. Starvation is a large issue in the world, and I’m glad that something is being done to help the cause. This reminds me of an article I read a few years ago about genetically modified foods, and how many poor countries and being benefitted by genetically modified crops. Because of the properties these crops have, it allows for them to live in different climates. Overall, this article was very interesting, and I hope many other starving areas of the world can be helped with these genetically modified crops.

    Answer to question #2:
    From what I found online, there are quite a few crops that are approved for sale. Some of the crops are canola, corn, cotton, flax papaya, potatoes, soybeans, squash, and tomatoes. There is an extensive list of genetically modified crops, but the ones above are commonly genetically modified.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this article, the main thing that came to thought is why wasn't this done earlier? It doesn't seem to show any negative impacts other than maybe some minor economic obstacles, which don't appear to be very concerning. I think it is a great way to help people in third world countries and get them the food they require for their health. I agree with Kate, that this could be a great solution to helping children get the care they deserve from their families. This reminds me of an article we read in Science on the Cassova crop in China and how crops can cause such controversial issues. In this case, it was controversial a while ago, but again I do not understand the need for making an issue out of what can help many countries across the world fight starvation. I think the best way to use this option is to go with it in countries where there are very harsh conditions related to food and agriculture and aviod it in countries where crops are easy to obtain. I hope governments see the good in this plan, and how it can save thousands of innocent lives in countries where they have to work without food.

    Expansion:

    http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/gmfood/overview.php/
    This above link provides a lot of information on the whole idea of genetically modified crops. It provides a brief summary on what exactly genetically modified crops are and has a whole list and explanations of why these crops are beneficial. It also provides some feedback on the negative side, and why people question them. The government and how they are involved in these crops is also explained. Overall this link gives a whole outline on the details of genetically modified crops.

    ReplyDelete